Sailing Into Summer
Spring is knocking on the door and our mind is thinking all about summer adventures. What would feel better than spending warm, sunny days on the lake or river with wind blowing through your hair?
Buying a boat is exciting but it is also a big decision. We understand that you feel a little anxious and want to make sure you make the right decision. Don’t worry, we are here to help you choose what is best for you!
- First things first. You need to ask yourself what do you want to do on your boat and where do you plan on boating?
Do you want something you can put on a trailer and haul from waterway to waterway? Do you want to organize cocktails at sundown? Will you do a lot of overnighting? Do your kids have plans to water-ski and wakeboard? Will you use your boat on the river or the lake? These questions will help you decide what boat is right for you!
- How many people do you plan to have on board regularly?
- Define your budget before going to shop! You can finance your boat anywhere from 10 to 20 years and you usually need up to 20% as a deposit.
- Decide whether you want new or pre-owned. If you are going for the cheaper option of buying pre-owned, keep in mind a couple things to inspect. You will need to inspect the engine and electrical system. Check the pumps and foaming. Are there any leaks?
- Size is crucial! It affects the cost of maintenance, gasoline, cleaning, insurance and storage
Planning on leaving a boat at the marina? Count that they will charge for every inch your boat will occupy.
- Inspection; take it for a test ride yourself. If you aren’t 100% sure of what you could buy, hire a professional marine repair shop to inspect it for you.
- Keep in mind that final costs are different; there are usually dealer fees, registration, accessories such as safety kit, bells, whistles, delivery cost, etc.
- After all, you want to decide what is the right boat insurance policy for you. The average year-round premium, consisting of Bodily Injury and Property Damage, Comprehensive, Collision, and some various additional customized coverage of your choice, might be less than $250, which is around $20 a month!
We will be more than happy to assist you with this one!
Thanks for reading!
Your friends at Farmers Mutual
749 Wilson Road, Newberry, SC 29108